- GCPS is hosting a summer STEM camp June 18-22 at Goochland Middle School. This opportunity is available for all students in kindergarten through fifth grade. For additional information, please see attached flyer.
- The Autism Society of Central VA is hosting a Special Needs Trust and Future Planning workshop on 5/4. See flyer for more details and to sign up.
- The Future Farmers of America (FFA) are hosting a plant sale on 5/5/18 at 9:00 a.m. at Goochland High School. Hanging plants are $15 each or two for $25. Plan to get there early as the flowers sell out quickly!
- A parent shared this inspirational video of a Les Brown speech. Les Brown is a motivational speaker who overcame struggles with academics and self-confidence. The video highlights the importance of high expectations, perseverance, and self-determination. “Someone’s opinion of you does not have to become your reality”—Les Brown.
- I really like this article from Child Mind Institute that’s geared towards parents and is about helping children with social skills weaknesses to improve their interactions with other children. Check it out if time permits!
While it doesn’t necessarily fit within the template of the weekly blog, I just need to share some photos of one of my favorite spring time events- a Champions Together track meet. Today, Goochland High School students (and some of our middle school students) competed in a Champions Together meet. Champions Together is a unified sports track and field event that allows students with disabilities to compete and play alongside students without disabilities. Today, Goochland High School students competed against Monocan High School students. The camaraderie, sportsmanship, and genuine care that all athletes showed during this event was truly heartwarming. I super proud of our students and thankful to all of the staff, students, and administrators who helped to make the event a huge success!