Good afternoon! Please see below for a list of community events and resources that you and your family my find relevant:
- Worried about your young child’s development? Goochland Schools and the Goochland-Powhatan Community Services Parent Infant Education Program partner every year to offer free developmental screenings for Goochland residents. On these dates, families can bring their children to our facility to find out more about their children’s development and school readiness. Our screening staff include preschool teachers, speech language pathologists, school psychologists, and other specialists. These developmental screenings are free for all Goochland residents between the ages of 0 and 5. Screenings will take place on 9/20/18 from 3:00-6:00 p.m. and on 9/21/18 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at Goochland Tech (next to Goochland Elementary School). The address for Goochland Tech is 3140 River Road West. See flyer for more details.
- Looking for a way to give back to our community? Byrd Elementary school is looking to recruit “Byrd Ambassadors” to work with some of our students at Byrd Elementary. Ambassadors will do a variety of things, including leading a group of readers, helping with science experiments, or assist with instruction. If you have a few hours of time each month, please consider helping Byrd out! See this flyer for more information!
- Have a teenager with autism? The Autism Society of Central Virginia is hosting a workshop called “Autism, Puberty, and Sexuality: What You Need to Know and How to Teach It” on 10/5/18. If interested, you can get more information and sign up through this link.
- Have a college bound student? VA Tech is offering interactive sessions for students, families, counselors, and educators to introduce the Coalition platform, Virginia Tech’s new undergraduate admissions application. These sessions will offer guidance on completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), an introduction to the RaiseMe micro-scholarship that allows students to earn college dollars during high school. The Richmond session will occur on 10/29. See flyer for more details.
- Save the Date! The VA Department of Education is hosting a “Critical Decision Points for Families of Children with Disabilities” workshop for the central VA area on 12/10/18. The purpose of the training is to ensure that parents have the knowledge necessary to make informed decisions by assisting families in understanding four things: (i) what are the keys to their child’s academic success; (ii) what decisions will they need to make regarding their child’s educational path; (iii) at what point will they be making these decisions; and (iv) what information will they need so that they can make the most well informed decisions possible for their child? Registration for this training is not available quite yet but I wanted you all to save the date as I think the training will be well worth your time!
I hope you all enjoy this mild weather!