- The Byrd Theatre is hosting a sensory friendly viewing of Jurassic World on 9/15/18 at 2:00. Click here for more information.
- The Greater Richmond SCAN is hosting a free screening of the documentary Resilience on 9/26/18 from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. If you are interested in the impact of childhood trauma on the brain and you haven’t had a chance to see Resilience, I guarantee you that it’s worth your time. This is a powerful documentary that discusses the impact of trauma on health and how we can build resilience in youngsters to stave off some of those negative health outcomes. Click here to reserve your seat.
- VCU ACE-IT is hosting a fall open house on 10/6/18 from 10:00 a.m. to noon. VCU ACE-IT is an inclusive college certificate program for young adults with intellectual disabilities in the greater Richmond area. RSVP to the open house using this link.
- Our first Special Education Advisory Committee meeting will occur on Monday, 9/17 at 6:00 at the School Board Office. Come join us!
- While recent weather reports suggest that we are missing the brunt of Hurricane Florence, it’s never too early to make sure that everyone in the family is prepared! The National Child Traumatic Stress Network (NCTSN) has created a Family Preparedness Wallet Card template to help families compile all important information (doctors, addresses, phone numbers, etc.) in one place. Once printed, this information can be stored in students’ wallets or book bag pockets.
- If you live in or will be in an area where Xfinity wifi hot spots are available, Xfinity and Comcast are making their wifi hotspots available to everyone (regardless of whether you are a Xfinity or Comcast customer) throughout the duration of Hurricane Florence. To find the nearest Xfinity wifi hotspot, click here.
- This week is suicide prevention week. We can all prevent suicide by familiarizing ourselves with the signs of suicide, helping others in crisis, and connecting others with resources. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is here to help. Caring individuals willing to connect others with counselors can be reached at 1-800-273-TALK. Individuals can also chat online with a caring professional to connect with counselors this link.